Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Shame Game

I'm sure we've all heard of fat shaming, but let me tell you- it's real. Not only are obese people hard on themselves, they have a world of judgment around them. Whether it's the shame of being too fat for the gym, the shame of going in line and getting your food at a buffet, the shame of only being able to shop in stores that have plus size clothing, the shame of being told that a certain clothing item isn't made in your size, the shame of being too heavy to sit in a canoe with your kids. It's around us, it's everywhere and it's realy very hurtful.

On the eating front...
So I was really good yesterday with watching my points and tracking, naturally I was thin at the end of the day. No really, I was actually feeling thin (because I was good for one day) and I saw myself in the mirror, immediately taken aback by what I saw. WHAT? I'm still fat? How the hell did that happen, I was good all day! That's how I felt in the moment, can you blame me? All that work for one day and still fat. I also noticed that as soon as I go on a diet, I'm hungry. Seriously- I say the word weight watchers and I immediately think of how I'm starving. So, I read about how people deal with the struggle of being hungry while dieting. It's all BS! Drink more water (I don't want water, I want food) Go for a walk (nope, I'm still thinking about food) Have a cup of tea (For real?)  I'm just stuck in a place right now thinking about how this is going to be for the rest of my life. My Doctor asked me why I stopped weight watchers if it worked. I said, because it worked. He said, clearly it didn't and that I would need to get comfortable with watching it for the rest of my life because my metabolism sucks and because I have eating issues. My question for today is, do people ever stop feeling hungry and does it get any easier?

2 comments:

  1. Oh girl I hear you on all fronts; keep it up, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sing it. It's like the moment you say that I can't have something is the moment that I want it. One thing that has been working for me, somewhat, is to schedule an off-plan meal a couple times per week or per month. That way, if I REALLY want something, I can say "hey, I'll have a cheeseburger on Saturday, so I don't need one now." Also, planning ahead and switching to more frequent, smaller meals has been working for me this month. It's hard to stay on it at work, but I typically start with an egg white scramble with veggies and turkey bacon or sausage and a piece of fruit for breakfast is good. Then I start getting truly hungry again around 10, so I've already scheduled a high protien snack for that time, which can get me through until a late lunch. Each time I start getting hungry, I realize I've planned a meal or snack within the next hour or so and it helps me get through. Just a thought that might work for you too.

    ReplyDelete