Thursday, January 29, 2015

Thank you very much

I want to take a moment to thank everyone for being so kind, encouraging and supportive. I have been overwhelmed by everyone's emails, texts, facebook messages. It is so very nice to know I am not alone in this. It's really interesting to me how many people assume if you have your life "together" in some areas, you must have it all together. I'm here to tell you that's simply not true. I actually had someone tell me, "You're writing a dissertation, you're getting your Doctorate- you're clearly intelligent enough to do that, don't you think you can figure this out?" I can't make these things up, people. And yet, I feel like there is a glimmer of truth in what they are saying. Don't flip out, I said glimmer. I am feeling a little more organized and put together with things, such as laundry, food planning and preparation, dishes. I think there's something to be said for things coming together and falling into place when you embark on a journey like this.

For lunch today, I went to Mariano's and hit up the salad bar. Well, let me tell you that I spent 14 points on a salad. Yes, you read that right! I could've actually had a Big Mac instead for exact same amount of points. The thing is, I don't bother with salad unless I like what's on it; I had some tuna salad, olives, crab meat salad, I think you get the point. At first I was discouraged, but I made such a monster salad that I left some for a couple hours later. Now, if this had been last week and I had no accountability or program to follow I would've eaten the whole thing and wouldn't have cared. This is a big win in my book. I also didn't feel gross or heavy when I was done, I felt satiated. I won't say full because I am rarely actually full, if I let myself I really could've done some damage.

On another note, I was at the dermatologist and a little old man was across the waiting area with his daughter. In a note so quiet voice, he said "That girl over there is much bigger than me". His daughter apologized and said he was a little senile but I found it more humorous than anything. Older people are like children in that way, they speak the truth. There were quite a few people in that waiting room and I can honestly tell you that I wasn't embarrassed, it just made me aware of how others might perceive me.

1 comment:

  1. Even if the Salad was 14 points, at least a lot of those points were healthy food points and not junk food!

    ReplyDelete