Sunday, February 1, 2015

Superbowl Sunday

Well, I'm not going to say this day was a success or a failure; I did learn quite a bit though. Made it half way through the day staying within, if not low on the points range. Then, my parents showed up with Italian Sausage, Italian beef, lasagna, 3 different types of chicken wings, desserts you can't even imagine...I haven't calculated what the damage was, but I know I didn't stay within my points range. BUT I didn't binge eat like I would have before last week, which I think is a huge plus. I almost did, but I actually didn't feel great so I stopped. Instead of the whole chocolate chip cookie, I ate half. Instead of sneaking back in to the kitchen for more wings, I stopped at what was on my plate. Could I have done better by staying within my points range? Absolutely, but what the hell, it's Super Bowl sunday! A day that Americans splurge on queso, beer, taco dip, spinach dips with hawaiian bread and anything and everything else that counts as game food.

Speaking of binging and splurging, I've been reading a book that was recommended to me by a friend from grade school and I am so thankful that I am reading this book. Shout out to Mr. Wilke! The book is called Why We Get Fat and although I've only read a few chapters, the author really hit home when he wrote about splurging. Splurging was meant for things like having a sweet treat every once in a while or "celebrating" something. This is now something our society tends to do daily, instead of the occasional splurge and he correlates that with the obesity epidemic. This hit home for me because of the way my family views food which is part of the reason I got in to this mess. We use food to celebrate, to love, to hate, to bond- I think you understand by now. We are German, yet you'll find us going out for Cinco de Mayo and eating a huge Mexican meal, we find a place to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with fish and chips- we celebrate EVERYTHING with food.

I suppose there will need to be, and in some ways already is some re-wiring that is taking place for me to find something else to celebrate with.

On a side note, for the second time in the last couple months someone has asked me when I'm due. Guess what friends, I'm not. Would absolutely welcome if it I was, but I'm not preggo. Funny thing is, we do want to have a 3rd child but I need to finish this degree program first and my Doc says I need to be under the 200lb mark. Huge disclosure there that I'm above it. I know, you won't judge. This should serve as a little reminder to people though, unless you are 99.9% sure, don't ask people when there're due! Just my 2 cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment